Monday, December 10, 2012

Lemon Lovelies

I should probably include a pair of elastic waist pants on my wish list to Santa. 
I've indulged this holiday season. Last week was my birthday and my brother brought me a rich and decadent chocolate cake from Costco. You know, the layered one with the chocolate mousse in the middle. Yikes. It'll rot your teeth just looking at it. It's the Madusa of cakes. Anyway, I had a piece each night for 4 nights. I don't recommend this. Have your sweets then get them out of the house, pronto. Don't let them linger to be picked on and on and on. 

So, due to this extended birthday celebration, I've worn out chocolate (for now). That's why I turned to these light hearted, bite sized treats. The lemon is bright and refreshing and I don't feel weighed down or guilty. Take these to your cookie swap or bake some for your neighbor, your kid's teacher or the office. They are a welcome change from the gingerbread men and chocolate chip cookies that are showing up on counters everywhere. Oh, save some for yourself, too. That's a must. 

Recipe
slightly adapted from Lauren's Latest

1/2 c butter, softened
1 c granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
lemon zest from 2 lemons
fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Whip in vanilla, egg, lemon zest, and juice. Combine dry ingredients (except the powdered sugar) in a separate bowl then stir into wet ingredients, slowly until just combined.


Pour powdered sugar onto a large plate. Roll a heaping teaspoon of dough into a ball and roll in powdered sugar (dough will feel sticky, it's okay). Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.

Bake for 9-11 minutes or until bottoms begin to barely brown and cookies are set in the middle (not shiny). Remove from oven and cool cookies about 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

2 comments:

  1. These look like such a tasty lemony treat =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elastic waist pants! Oh that cracked me up big time.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts